NPP Primaries: NaCCA BOSS SET TO UNSEAT JOE MENSAH IN KWESIMINTSIM
From Marlvin -James Dadzie,
The Executive Secretary of the National Council for Curriculum and Assessment (NaCCA), Dr. Prince H. Armah, is tipped to unseat the incumbent Member of Parliament (MP) for Kwesimintsim, Mr. Joseph Mensah, if the former decides to contest in the upcoming New Patriotic Party (NPP) parliamentary primaries for sitting MPs, a research poll conducted by The New Crusading GUIDE has revealed.
The research which was conducted among NPP delegates in the Kwesimintsim constituency between October 14, 2019 and December 2, 2019, showed that the incumbent MP for the area had become unpopular among his party supporters less than three years into office
Out of the total number of 401 delegates in the constituency, 265 of the delegates representing 66.1 percent were interviewed through the administration of questionnaires. This number comprised of Constituency Executives, Council of Elders, Patrons, Electoral Area Coordinators and Polling Station Executives.
The findings showed that out of a total number of 141 from the 265 respondents sampled, representing 53.2 percent do not want the MP to be retained as the NPP Parliamentary Candidate (PC) for the 2020 elections. The remaining 124 respondents, representing 46.8 percent however approved of his retention.
The reasons given for his disapproval included his perceived low contribution towards development in the area, poor human relations, lack of engagements with constituents, sidelining of polling station executives and perceived parliamentary ineffectiveness.
The respondents who approve of his retention however are of the view that the MP has done well in championing the development of the area through the rehabilitation of roads and bridges, as well as registering many constituents onto the National Health Insurance Scheme (NHIS).
However, pertaining to the general performance ratings, 136respondents rated the MP “Low”; 115 rated him “High” and 14 rated him “Average”.
However, the Executive Secretary of NaCCA, Dr. Prince Hamid Armah, comes into the picture as there is a groundswell of calls from NPP fraternity and delegates within the constituency for him to contest in the upcoming primaries scheduled for April 25, 2020.
Dr. Armah has recently become very visible in the constituency even than the MP as he has undertaken several philanthropic activities including the donation of reading materials to schools, donation of motorcycles to police to enhance security, facilitation of loans to traders and sponsoring of festivals. Dr. Armah is also seen by many of the delegates as a unifier, who frowns against ethnocentric and divisive tendencies and this is going to help in appreciating his votes if he decides to contest, and lead to the incumbent losing a significant number of votes.
His role as Head of NaCCA in the implementation of the new national curriculum for Kindergarten to Primary Six has also upsurge his public image as many constituents look up to him as an example of excellence.
As it stands now, this paper can authoratively say with certainty that Dr. Armah would beat the sitting MP convincingly if he decides to contest him in a two-horse-race scheduled for April 25, 2020.